Mediation consists of negotiation between parties who disagree, assisted by a neutral third party. Let’s look at the hallmarks of mediation.
• The keynote is self-determination;
• The resolution of the disagreement is made by the parties themselves;
• The parties must show a willingness to submit to the process in good faith.
• The mediator is a neutral third party;
• The mediator is impartial;
• The mediator assists each party in voicing his and her concerns;
• The mediator facilitates the negotiation in assisting the parties in considering alternatives and options.
• The process is voluntary;
• The process is confidential;
• The ultimate resolution is made by the parties, themselves.